HEROIC RETURN HOME WITH GOLD AND SILVER FROM 50KM WORLD CHAMPS

The national ultra-distance team were all smiles on Tuesday, after returning from the IAU 50km World Championships which were held in Brasov, Romania last week.

Lungile Gongqa secured the silver medal in the men's individual race, clocking 2:48:26 as he carried the South African squad to gold in the team competition, with three athletes finishing in the top six.

“This was a tough race for me as it was my first, but I’m happy with my performance and I aim to improve my second position next time I’m selected for the same race.

“I must say it’s a good feeling,” said Gongqa, after the team’s arrival at OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg.

Bongmusa Mthembu, the men's captain, who took sixth place, said: "I think we performed very well on the global stage and it's great to come back to our country to see how happy the fans are.

“The support we've had from our federation, Athletics South Africa has also motivated us and going forward I think the next generation will now be able to see that they can also conquer challenges."

In the women's race, Yolande Maclean finished 17th in 3:28:47, leading the SA squad to fifth place in the team competition. Salome Cooper, the SA women's captain, admitted it was not their best day on the road, but she believed they have the ability to step on the podium in future.

"Soon into the race we could see Tanith (Maxwell) was taking strain and after two laps I was getting sick, and we realised the day wasn't going to turn in our favour, so we just had to keep going and finish the event," Cooper said.

No comments

Theme images by adamkaz. Powered by Blogger.